Drug addiction can make addicts feel hopelessly trapped. Although it may feel impossible, you can overcome addiction. Drug addiction and alcoholism are illnesses and should be treated as such. Therefore, finding a dug rehab program tailored to your needs is very important. If you are from the Memphis, TN area and you would like more information about drug addiction, call us at 901-403-7925.
What’s Drug Dependency?
The National Institute on Drug Use defines addiction as “a chronic, relapsing disorder characterized by compulsive drug seeking, continued use despite harmful consequences, and long-lasting changes in the brain.” Further, addiction “is considered both a complex brain disorder and a mental illness.” Effective rehab centers treat drug addiction, sometimes referred to as physical and/or psychological dependence, as an illness that develops in response to using legal and illegal substances.
For example, physical dependency occurs after continual drug abuse has disrupted the way neurons in the brain communicate pleasure. Further, drug use is one way to receive pleasure-giving brain chemicals. However, psychological dependency can take longer to form. Psychological dependency occurs when someone experiences stress and anxiety at the thought of not having the ability to acquire drugs to feel good or normal again. Both physical and psychological dependence need to be addressed through a drug rehab program. Here are some examples of services to look for in a treatment center:
- group and individual therapy
- healthy physical activities
- access to the 12-step community
- a knowledgeable and supportive aftercare staff
- reasonably-priced accommodations
Every client’s personal requirements are taken into consideration when recovery specialists design tailor-made treatment programs that are proven to be extremely successful. Additionally, they use a number of fact-based, constructive, affordable treatments to satisfy their clients’ diverse requirements, though many other facilities fall short of these high standards.
Rehab, or rehabilitation, is the complicated process where a person:
- withdraws from their substance of dependency
- participates in several kinds of counseling and behavioral adjustments that help the person understand issues
- examines their reasons for using
- learns how to prevent relapses and temptation
At an effective drug rehab center, recovery specialists take these steps to assist patients:
- medical care
- lifestyle skills training
- drug and alcohol testing
- relapse prevention coaching
- orientation into self-help and support meetings
- treatment of psychological problems and emotional issues
- family education and therapy
- follow-up care
We Can Help
Some treatment centers offer a blend of inpatient and outpatient treatment, combining round the clock supervision with the ultimate goal of integration into society. Here are some examples of resources provided by effective treatment centers:
- group and individual therapy
- behavioral modeling therapy
- support group meetings every day
- recreational activities
- trips to the gym every day
- various social activities
For additional details regarding treatment facilities, the effects of drug abuse, or substance abuse in general, please call us at 901-403-7925.